Going on a first date can be a daunting and an overwhelming task. For starters, you don’t know the other person too well and vice versa. You want to make an impression, a good and long-lasting one. Not knowing the other person’s likes and dislikes can be very tricky. For example, selecting the meet-up place can present with a huge challenge. You don’t want to show off and yet, you don’t want to create a very casual environment to undermine the importance of this date.
The purpose of going out with someone for the first time is to know that person inside out! Here are a few tips and the best questions to ask, when you are on your first date! (Also, make sure to check out our list of places to take a first date.)
Listening Skills Are Important
Some people have the ability to flow in conversation from one topic to another. Though it may put the other person at ease for some time, it can also cause irritation. It is good to know that you can start a conversation, but you need to make sure that you are listening to the other person as well, by giving him/ her the chance to speak.
Always listen attentively when the other person is talking and make sure you maintain eye contact!
Don’t Dig Too Deep!
It is good to know the person inside out but you should not expect to do it the first time you meet. It takes a number of meetings and outings to know the other person. It is good to show an interest in the other person, but do not cross the line to put the other person on the defensive.
Questions like asking about favorite books, authors or movies or even hobbies give a good insight about your date’s personality. Steer clear of politics and religion, as things can flare up before you can even control them!
Don’t Divulge Too Much!
Just like your date wouldn’t want you to pry him/ her, it is imperative that you don’t over-indulge him/ her with information about yourself. You don’t want to sound self-centered, so limit the amount of information you reveal.
Show Genuine Interest
Showing genuine interest in your date can go a long way. Try to get to know the other person. Ask questions that are not too intrusive. You don’t want to make the other person uncomfortable.
Here’s 15 Questions to Ask on a First Date
- Where are you originally from and where did you go to school?
- What was your major and where do you work?
- What do you do in your free time to relax?
- What are your goals in life?
- Which is your favorite movie of all time and why?
- Who is your best-friend and who do you confide in the most?
- What was your family like? Are you close-knit?
- Were you the quiet one or the naughty one as a child?
- What is your favorite place to visit?
- What kind of music do you like to listen to?
- Do you have any pet peeves?
- Do you like reading books and have you read any good book lately?
- Do you like to travel?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- What are you passionate about?
We Hope That with Our List of First Date Questions, You’ll Be Able to Score a Perfect ‘A’!
Also check out our list of dating sites you can use so you can actually score a first date.